Monday, March 21, 2011

Resurfacing

Argh! What is with the crazy viruses this year? You're sick, you're better, you're sick, you're fine now, Oh Wait, you're sick again.

I think I'm on a Fine day, so I'm online for the first time in a week to remind you about Earth Hour which is on Friday. It's a sad state of affairs when we congratulate ourselves for turning off our lights for one hour a year, but I'm sure Mother Earth is saying to herself, "Beggars can't be choosers". Imagine how different the planet would look if we all habitually did those Fukushima-style rolling blackouts. (Yes, Dave, even I have heard of Fukushima.)

It's no secret that we're reliant on technology. I rail against it, but you should have seen my look of dismay when, mid-scrub, my Oral B Sonic Care toothbrush batteries died. And once I breezily decided I'd try making macaroons without a power mixer - just good old fashioned whisking. I nearly had an apoplexy, and for days I felt like one arm was normal and one was Popeye.

It was humbling. It makes me think the obesity epidemic could be ameliorated just by making everybody do their housework and cooking appliance-free. The nation's arm-jiggle would be gone, certainly.

4 comments:

Valerie said...

Shh...I just bought myself an immersion blender. (A direct result of that cooking class.)

Do I get points because it takes less water and soap to clean up than using the big old fashioned blender?

know what you mean tho'....I about went into PTSD when we were without electricity, heat, and running water for 5 days over Christmas a couple years ago. Thought it would be no sweat since I enjoy backpacking. Apparently while at home I need my (basic) comforts.

kate said...

I have no desire to go backwards, technologically-speaking. I do however want to teach my son to find the balance between appreciation of technology and the natural world. As he keeps asking to go camping (an almost completely technology-free zone for us) I think it's going ok!

As to the viruses this year, it's been ridiculous. Here's hoping we've all seen the end of it.

Dave Hingsburger said...

um, ok, where? what?

Shan said...

Dave, don't you remember how I don't watch the news and prefer to live in blissful ignorance of how the world is going to hell in a handbasket? Don't you remember telling me "We're leaving the East Coast ahead of schedule to avoid Earl", to which I replied "Who's Earl?" Don't you remember telling me my children would be doing current events and thinking Ronald Reagan was still the President of the US?

I just thought you'd burst your buttons with pride, once you heard that I know what the significance of "Fukushima" is.