Saturday, August 07, 2010

Eminem is for next year

My six year old is walking around, snapping her fingers on the backbeat and singing:

"Ra ra ra-ah-ah
Roma, Ro-ma-mah
Gaga, ooh la la
Want your bad ro-mance!"

This reminds me of a dreadful afternoon when we were fifteen and my best friend was babysitting the pastor's three year-old. We were at our wits' end trying to stop her from singing something she had picked up (from us) during the course of the afternoon but, try as we might, the girl insisted on belting this out at the top of her lungs:

"If you're gonna do it
Do it right
Right, do it with me!"*

You would have thought that day would have taught me prudence, would have taught me to be careful what music I played when kids were present, but apparently not. It wasn't even two years later when my little four year old cousin, whose family I was rooming with during university, left my bedroom and wandered down the hall warbling

"Gimme gimme gimme a man after midnight
won't somebody help me chase these shadows away!"

Children will hang you, for sure.

Some people might think it's strange that I don't let my children watch Disney movies, but they sing Lady Gaga songs. I think it a bit odd, myself, but I'm willing to live with it.

I might also be counting on them finding Lady Gaga incomprehensible.

Plus I always clear my throat loudly if they happen to be in the room when she says "And baby when it's love if it's not rough it isn't fun."

I'm up for the 2010 Parent-of-the-Year award, didn't I tell you?

Wow, I'm old. And this photo is
pretty dodgy for a promo shot.
See the optical illusion, there?

-----------------------------
* I'm not sure what's worse: the horrible lip-synching or the weird pre-show-show with the - what is he, Italian? - cinema employee. No, wait: I have it. The worst part of this whole video is when George Michael plays the tambourine on his crotch.

5 comments:

stephanie dosen said...

hehehehe :D
xxoo

Dave Hingsburger said...

YOU'RE OLD, my gosh, I was taken aback at that photo! I didn't even recognize, right off, that the fellow in the picture was George Michael. I guess bathrooms age you somehow! Anyways, lyrics, in my parent's day it was mare's eat oat and does eat oats, and little lambs eat ivy. I can still sing that silly song ... (I think it's kind of funny that my comment will follow immediately after faerie finder)

kate said...

Nearly fell off my chair laughing.

Bush Boy can sing ACDC with the best of them yet is not allowed to watch most of the action movies his friends have all watched. Also, we tried to stop listening to Black Eyed Peas when he got to an age of understanding, but he loves the beat of their music so much....

We all have our peculiarities :)

And George Michael was IT when I was 12. Swoon.

Gwen said...

Dave, roared with laughter at the bathrooms bit, then again at the "faerie finder." Thanks for the laugh.

Lady Gaga = not nearly as harmful as Disney princesses. Not even close.

lizbon said...

Oh baby, oh baby, this post was delicious.

(see if you can spot the unintentional dirty pun)