Wednesday, April 08, 2009

These are the things that keep me sane.

Three little things that happened today in the middle of an otherwise stupid and pointless 24 hours.



1.
My daughter said, excitedly, as she was going to bed, "I'm gonna take all these Usborne books to bed! Oh boy! I really want to learn lots! I've never felt so...." long pause during which Mr HSB and I looked at each other with quivering lips "...so LEARNY in my life!" (Hopefully one of those books was on vocab.)

2.
I was with a group of teacher-mothers, listening to a recorded lecture by an educational advisor, who said this:

"As homeschooling parents we expect the end results to be commiserate with the effort we've put in." Of course I burst out laughing and repeated merrily, "commiserate!" Everyone looked at me blankly. I considered saying "Uh....I think she meant commensurate," but realised I would sound at best pedantic, at worst intolerably stuck-up. So I just kept laughing to myself as people looked at me fearfully, as if they thought I might start jabbing fruit skewers into my wild hairdo.

3.

My five year old, playing on WebKinz World, shouted angrily, "If they don't give me my daily KinzCash, I'm going to wyatt!" I looked at the older one quizzically. She explained, "Oh, she said 'Riot'. We've been saying that a lot lately. It means go crazy with anger."


The moral of the story is: life can be craptastic, but as long as something strikes me funny, all is not lost.


Here endeth the lesson.

9 comments:

Dave Hingsburger said...

Thank you, kind God, for giving us a sense of humour. Life would be unbearable without a giggle or two. Living with your Uncle Joe, I hear laughter a lot ... it's in your genes to find humour in life.

Darci said...

As home-educated child (k-12) the love of learning hasn't not stopped yet and I do think you should have spoken up, because possibly "they" would have learned something too!

Geek Knitter said...

commiserate... commensurate...

Yeah, I'd have chortled for hours over that one!

Valerie said...

Gotta keep that dictionary at your elbow! Especially if you plan on using 25 cent words where a 5 cent one will do. I'd have been laughing and snorting too....

lizbon said...

Oh baby, I'd never have been able to keep a straight face. At least it's a funny instance, unlike the TV commercial with the girl who says she's marinating on something, instead of meditating on it.

I want throw stones at the television every time it comes on.

kate said...

I'm with daughter. I love feeling all LEARNY too!

bethro said...

OMG, I might wyatt in my pants I'm laughing so hard.

Annalea said...

lol There's no way I would have kept quiet about commiserate/commensurate. (It is, after all, my job to prevent the last vestiges of proper English usage from slipping into the television-engendered abyss, no?)

I consider the days with gems like these to be really good ones. I do love language!

Another Joan said...

What I want to know is how to get that so-called educational advisor's job? I'm with Annalea - educate 'em!!